Saturday, December 01, 2007

Dem Bones


I drew this last weekend at the LaBrea Tar Pits. These are the remains of an American Lion reconstructed and on display at the Page Museum. This has always been one of my favorite spots to visit in LA LA land, and if you ever get a chance to check it out, I don't want to over hype this, but its definitely worth the gander. For me, I take great comfort in the lack of permanence on this planet. No matter what we do, in time, all that will remain is a starved outline if we are lucky. I am fascinated at the possibilities presented in these Natural History Museums...LA, a city of millions, covered in pavement and chain link, crack whores and worse...celebrities. And yet, many thousands of years ago there existed a classic life or death struggle between those that eat and those that get eaten. Giant Sloths, Saber tooth Cats, Lions, Rhinos, Miniature Horses...and that's just what shows up on the fossil record. I am not going to hide my firm belief in Darwin's theory and yet I can only marvel and wonder at the gaps contained within. In the Origin Of Species, Mr. Darwin waxes eloquently about the vast spans of time on record and the fact that for every species recorded in rock, there are undoubtedly thousands that are missed. So many mysteries that are out there to be found. Who knows what lies beneath each stone in our collective back yards. Who knows what will await OUR bones in the next two thousand years. I guess, between the challenge of handling the basic architecture of the skeletons combined with the fantasy of a California where these beasts roamed (or Monsters as Mr. Darwin named them), there is much reward for these drawing experiences.

Speaking of great experiences, in the past couple of weeks I have had the pleasure of witnessing two incredible movies. The first was No Country For Old Men and I will not analyze it here (as I don't want to give ANYTHING away) but I wish to relay that I don't think there was a second where my interest wavered and not a character that I did not have a reaction to. Amazing storytelling. The second was Enchanted...yes Enchanted. I am a cynical, angry animation guy and yet sitting in the theater with my kids I was amazed at how the whole audience was literally lifting off of its seats to embrace this very sweet tale of love unfolding on the big screen. I was one of them. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and I have to say I consumed every second of it with eager interest and investment. Not many films have that effect on me anymore. As with my opinions on No Country For Old Men, I do not wish to analyse Enchanted...It probably wasn't perfect...I just really liked it. Sometimes when faced with all the bitterness and hateful crap that is spewed out there on the blog-o-sphere(my own rants included...and I hate using contrite catch phrases like this piddly pun, blog-o-sphere, as much as I hate the term LOL...nobody f@#king Laughs out Loud...Puddle of snot, I'm ranting again...We're talking about love not hate you cheeseheaded slit prick... breath...calm energy...we're being positive...back to the subject...now), I need films like these combined with great drawing experiences to remind me that Dogma of any nature is inherently false and sometimes it is worth it to let stuff wash over you. It is easy to stick your thumb up your arse and say that everything new is crap and everything old is good, or vice versa...I think I'd just like stick my thumb up my arse for pleasure of sticking my thumb up my arse. Screw the Dogma.

Here are some more sketches from that day...sitting in the courtyard of LACMA (LA County Museum of Art...right beside the Tar Pits) drawing people waiting to go into the Dali touring exhibit. Not claiming that these are brilliant...but I had fun with the day. What else matters.


8 comments:

troyquane said...

Kris!
How's it going? Thanks for the positive words for Enchanted, glad you liked it!
Your drawings, as always, are fantastic (don't you ever get tired of being so good...take a breath and give the rest of us a chance!)
The family is doin' great, the kids challenge us at every turn (what my mother would certainly call "karmic retribution"...)
Hope all is well with your clan.
Keep in touch,
Yet another woefully domesticated man

Monkeyfeather said...

Nice sketches Kris. I've wanted to go to the Labrea Tar Pits since I was a little kid and heard them mentioned on the Flintstones.

No Country is probably my favorite film of the year... AMAZING!!!

Mel Maduro said...

Great stuff, you're work looks so effortless and awesome.

craig said...

KRIS!
Gotta love the pits. I find the family tableau of the mammoths mildly disturbing though Jsst out for a fun little forage, then BAM! ..Mother(or Father) watches helplessly as Father (or mother) is slowly consumed by the ooze. Couldn't agree more about "Old Country". I was riveted. Great stuff buddy

Randeep Katari said...

great work man!
Call you tonight.
R.

the doodlers said...

Thanks for the recommendations on the movies- havn't seen either yet but we plan to.

Great dino sketch, Kris! So...what make of tablet PC are you using?

Hey, are you going back to Banff in Jan? I just heard that there will be another story thingy there.

Merry hoo hah and all that stuff for the season! ~Arna

juyon park said...

great sketches! thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,美髮儀器,美髮,儀器,髮型,EMBA,MBA,學位,EMBA,專業認證,認證課程,博士學位,DBA,PHD,在職進修,碩士學位,推廣教育,DBA,進修課程,碩士學位,網路廣告,關鍵字廣告,關鍵字,課程介紹,學分班,文憑,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,日式料理, 台北居酒屋,日本料理,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,台北結婚,場地,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,造型系列,學位,SEO,婚宴,捷運,學區,美髮,儀器,髮型,看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,房子,捷運,學區,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,學位,碩士學位,進修,在職進修, 課程,教育,學位,證照,mba,文憑,學分班,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,結婚,場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,婚宴場地,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,居酒屋,燒烤,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,小套房,小套房,進修,在職進修,留學,證照,MBA,EMBA,留學,MBA,EMBA,留學,進修,在職進修,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,PMP,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,PMP,證照,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,漢高資訊,漢高資訊,比利時,比利時聯合商學院,宜蘭民宿,台東民宿,澎湖民宿,墾丁民宿,花蓮民宿,SEO,找工作,汽車旅館,阿里山,日月潭,阿里山民宿,東森購物,momo購物台,pc home購物,購物漢高資訊,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,民宿,民宿,整形,造型,室內設計,室內設計,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,民宿,美容,室內設計,在職進修,羅志祥,周杰倫,五月天,民宿,民宿,整形,整形,室內設計,室內設計,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,漢高資訊,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,蔡依林,林志玲